Poached Apple Salad
Courtesy of Chef Brent Davis, Chef de Cuisine at Bacchus – A Bartolotta Restaurant.
This health mix features winter greens tossed in a Dijon apple cider vinaigrette, fall spice poached apples, candied pecans, raisins, crumbled gorgonzola cheese. Yields 4 portions.
- One large mixing bowl
- One medium mixing bowl
- One large (approx. 1 gallon) metal pot
- One small (approx. 2 qt.) metal pot
- One wire whisk
- One cutting board
- One sharp kitchen knife
- One baking tray
- Large perforated spoon
- 4 heads frisee, cleaned and cut into 2 inch segments (endive, radicchio, escarole or even kale will suffice if frisee is not available)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced thin for garnish
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup crumbled BelGioioso gorgonzola
• Mix ingredients in large mixing bowl. Reserve and refrigerate.
Candied pecans ingredients:
- 1 cup shelled half pecans
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 2 cups canola oil
- Pour water and sugar into small metal pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add pecans and boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain pecans out of water, discard liquid.
- Allow pecans to fully dry on baking tray.
- Add canola oil to same pot once cleaned and dried. Allow oil to reach 350 F degrees.
- Add boiled pecans to oil and fry for 45 seconds to a minute. Remove pecans from oil with a perforated spoon and return to baking tray.
- Sprinkle salt on the finished pecans and allow to cool and dry. Reserve for assembly.
- 1 tbsp. Dijon
- 1 sprig of fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups salad oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 orange zest
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- Add Dijon, vinegar, honey, and orange zest in medium mixing bowl.
- Slowly add oil while whisking to incorporate an emulsion.
- Finish with salt, pepper, and tarragon. Reserve for assembly.
Poached apples ingredients:
- 2 honey crisp apples, diced in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 remaining orange, cut in half
- 1 quart apple cider
- 2 cups white wine (preferably semi-dry)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp. whole clove
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger (peeled/rough chop)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. whole peppercorn
- Add cider, wine, cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg, orange, peppercorns in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 2 minutes, then bring down the heat to a low simmer. Gently add the diced apples to the liquid.
- Allow to poach for at least 4-5 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove apples from the liquid with perforated spoon, avoiding the spices and ginger. Place on baking tray. Allow to cool in refrigerator.
• Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly while adding the vinaigrette to your liking. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.